Saturday, January 12, 2013

Downton Abbey Inspires

Lady Mary Crawley
    





(I adore this photo)
                                                          

I am crazy about Downton Abbey.  I must confess that I didn't start watching until just this last 6 mo.  I heard all the buzz and decided to see what everyone was carrying on about.  I downloaded season one and started watching.  By episode 3 I had downloaded season 2 and in 3 weeks I had finished them and was anxiously awaiting the start of season 3 and of course the wedding of Matthew and Mary.

I was not at all disappointed.  Watching Mary come down the grand staircase in her dress softly flowing around her and her veil trailing behind her, it was beautiful.  In her arms an understated arm bouquet of white calla lilies.

                                                      Some Lady Mary inspired gowns.

Catherine Deane
                                                                                   Naomi Neoh                                                                                      

Temperley London

Flowers that would be perfect for the modern Lady Mary.  Loose, lovely, dimensional and somewhat unpredictable unlike the more traditional perfectly rounded bouquet.  Flowers that can sway and move like the lighter fabrics like the gowns and complimenting the extravagant bead work.  And just like Lady Mary, white calla lilies have never gone out of style in my book.  A few in the arm and some soft flowing greenery.

Florals by Bows and Arrows Image by Natalie Shelton
Bridget Vizoso of Designers Co-op
Southern Blooms by Pat's Floral Design

No comments: